VASSP is a unified affiliate of the National Association of Secondary School Principals. There are four classifications of membership, which include:
- Professional Membership – Available to practicing secondary school administrators or supervisors; persons having supervision of educational personnel as a major responsibility; persons serving in an administrative position in a regional, state, or national educational agency or association, college or university; teachers preparing others for a professional career in education; and members not currently employed in the field of education but who are receiving compensation from the Virginia Retirement System.
- Special Membership – Includes Honorary Life Membership, awarded by the VASSP Board of Directors to persons who make outstanding contributions to education, and Complimentary Membership, granted to Association staff upon appointment.
- Associate Membership – Available to individuals not eligible for professional or special membership, including members reassigned to classroom or other duties, outside administration/supervision; individuals meeting certification requirements for membership but who have not yet been employed in a position qualifying them for professional membership; and individuals who are graduate students verified as being enrolled in programs of educational administration leading to administrative certification in an accredited higher education institution.
- School Service Membership – Available to those companies or corporations involved in the field of education.
Membership in VASSP consists of the following categories:
- VASSP/NASSP Unified Individual Membership – $536
Grants a single membership in the name of an individual, and includes a single set of publications from state and national.
- VASSP/NASSP Institutional Membership – $536
Provides one complete membership to the person named, and also provides a second set of publications mailed to the school library or institution. Institutional membership does not give benefits of membership to more than one person.
VASSP offers the following five convenient methods of membership payment: Full Payment with school or personal check, Installment Plan, Credit Card, Personalized Plan, or Payroll Deduction.